Sunday, November 9, 2008

Damn, I hate it when I fail and other news.

We are what, 10 days into November? Ten whole days. November seemed like a great month to participate in NaBloPoMo again. The concept is simple enough. You write a post for your blog every day for a month. November is great this year... there is no theme, you just write! Good God, that should be easy for someone like me with an abundance of things to say at any given time. Heck, I did it in August when the theme was "Hot." But you know what you guys? Less than a third of the way into the month, I fell flat on my face. I got quiet, maybe I just feel tired from all that is going on outside the world of the web. So, tonight I will unceremoniously remove my November NaBloPoMo badge. Perhaps I'll try again in January. I'm not doing that to myself in December.

I'll still be here writing, just not challenging myself to that goal.

In other news, hospitality is the word for this weekend. We were invited to a little party by the neighbors on Friday evening. A wine and cheese event. The evening's host is a Sommelier, (um seriously, spell checker doesn't know this word! wants me to use smellier, lol) so the wine choices were lovely and he was knowledgeable and patient with those of us who don't really know our Boone's Farm from our Reunite (me).

Hero and I are looking forward to hosting a guest later this week from back home, his sister will be visiting for a week. I can't wait to see her! Then my baby will come home for a few days the week of Thanksgiving. So much to look forward to and be thankful for.

So, I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend. I missed a day, I slept for 20 hours on Saturday. I knew I was headed for a crash and I crashed. So weird when that happens! But today its back to being up and around and out and about.

See ya Monday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mel, I say screw this Nablopomo sh-t. In fact, I looked it up yesterday wondering what it was, with an inkling it might mean "post every day." Just the sound of nablopomo makes me think: NAMBLA (and that is not anything I want to think about).

Blogging is for fun. Blogging is to be spontaneous. So forget this nambypamby namborambo stuff. I mean no disrespect to blogger lifers, really I don't. But this pressure to post daily, regardless the quality of the post, makes no sense.

Mel, you are doing a great job on your blog. So there! And so enjoy your posts.

Have a wonderful time with your baby at Thanksgiving. Life goes by too damn fast. Mine is seven and I'm thinking about holding him in a vice-grip for the next few years so he won't grow any more.

Pat said...

I can commiserate, because right now I'm failing at the original November writing challenge: NaNoWriMo, the novel-writing one.

Write for yourself, I say. These arbitrary goals and deadlines can be motivating, but they can also be crippling. The more obligated I feel to do this stuff, the less I want to sit down and crank something out.

Melanie said...

thank you so much you guys! Really! It is so true what you said Leigh and Pat. The challenge kills the creativity for me. I really need to be blogging when I have something to say, which was my original intent. Then I got caught up in being goal oriented... which is my nature, not really realizing until now that isn't the goal of this blog! You guys helped me figure that out. Thanks!