Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I Fought the Garage Door and it was a Draw.



These words should be painted on my garage door. I dashed out this morning to meet a friend for a lunch date... running a few minutes late as I always am, hit the garage door opener as usual on my way out the mudroom door expecting the garage door to go up and what happens? Not a hell of a lot. WTF. The door is just stranded halfway up and the motor to the opener is pathetically whining this little half ass groan. Well, I'm resourceful and remember what that red chord is for, so I pull on it and manually open the door and get my car out of the garage and manually close the door. Exciting stuff, huh? Not so much, really. I would feel so much better about this if I weren't already in a state of disgust about the garage to begin with. For the life of me, I'll never figure out why our "two car" garage barely fits two smallish cars with barely a foot between them. I might understand this if our neighborhood were built in another time, but our 'hood is fairly new, the homes are largish and built in the age of SUV's. Since the hero and I don't drive SUV's, we are one of the few couples on the block who can actually park IN our garage, so why the hell am I even complaining? I don't know. Perhaps I'm still cranky in the head and because I had to fight the garage door and a sidewalk this week. Wow, whine lately Melanie?

I did make it to my lunch date on time and had a lovely Italian lunch, followed by a leisurely drive home in the snow. The pretty kind of snow. Oh, I did get sidetracked at one store on my way home... I found some very cool fingerless gloves to wear inside for my never warm hands and some nifty ear muffs to help keep that nagging Chicago wind out of my right ear.

Tomorrow we make an appt. for the dumb ass garage door opener to be fixed. Of course it is never convenient for things to break, so it is what it is. Like I said, I'm cranky about it and tomorrow is a new day.

Big things happening tomorrow... much much bigger than any old door. My daddy is having some major tests run tomorrow. If anyone who reads this blog prays... please say one for his health. I would be so grateful for your thoughts and prayers for him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your always in my thoughts and prayers Senator!!!

Also say a prayer for one of my two bestest friends in the whole wide world, who finds out in the morning if he gets to keep his job amid some heavy layoffs at his company. Our thoughts and prayers are with you bud!!!