Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Holiday Sweetness and Thanks.

Boulet Boots, Style 7154


And so it is that another frenzied Paris family Christmas has come and gone. This one held particularly special meaning to our family as my Daddy's illness left us all feeling that we should enjoy this holiday to the fullest. As I've mentioned, my dad is an ex-professional cowboy from way back in the day. He gave up being a cowboy years ago, but never gave up the attitude nor the style. This Christmas, in his honor, several of us took a trip to the local outfitter and purchased boots. I went with my heart set on a pair of Luchesse boots my dad had seen earlier in the week, but they didn't have my size. My next choice were the Dan Post boots he had mentioned, also not available in my size. I landed on the above boots, which fit like a dream and feel like slippers kids. Seriously, I may never take them off. Now I know why Daddy wore boots all his life. The hero bought a beautiful pair of boots as well as did my sister. We were seriously thinking of heading out and doing some big time ass kicking with our new found attitude. Hee Yaw! Sweetly, and sadly, my dad passed down his collection of Stetsons and Resistol hats to the heads in the family they fit. I was lucky to be the beneficiary of a beautiful hat belonging to a great uncle, long gone, who evidently had a very small head but a very large personality. I will always treasure it.

Another aspect of Christmas that made the day so special was spending time with fellow bloggers Pat and Megan, former students of my sister and now friends of mine. They were thoughtful to include me in the gift exchange and among my favorite items from them are a Guatemalan Worry Doll to put under my pillow (they are getting to know me so well... thanks so much y'all!) and a fleece blanket. Is it possible they knew I was asking everyone for fleece this Christmas? I've been cuddling it since I came home from Alabama. Seriously, we all need to get together for cake again soon. You two are the best.


Christmas is absolutely not about getting things, but these are a few of the things that made the holiday special and created memories and I wanted to pass along thanks.


Christmas... Over. Look out for 2009. May we all be blessed with good health and good friends.


2 comments:

Lawyer Mom said...

Girlfriend, that Guatemalan worry doll is not to be scoffed at! (not that you were) She works. Hug her dearly each night. Very sorry about your Dad.

Melanie said...

Thanks so much Lawyer Mom, your thoughts are so appreciated! Believe me I know there was no scoffing at the power of the worry doll. She is awesome!