Tuesday, January 13, 2009

So... Let's Talk about 24.

Oh come on. Y'all know me better than that. I'm not a TV blogger! I'm passionate about certain shows (24 being near the top of the list and since it just started up again, yeah... my passion is burning hot) but I leave the critique to the professionals. I have to tell you though, something big and shallow happened to me last night while watching episode 4. I stumbled onto my new obsession. I don't have the actual photo of the objects of my desire, though I've been to the Fox website and have watched and rewound a certain scene between President Taylor and Ethan Kanin because it contains the best shot of my new loves.


Just what are these lovlies that have me in such a bother? I have a passion for certain things. Let me give you a few hints. These are beautiful things. Things for the home. Things of quality. Things that are old. Things with two arms and four legs. Okay, I hate guessing too. Just not fun. Just look what I found in President Taylor's office yesterday. I know it! They were just sitting there by the fireplace, looking all gorgeous in their antiquey (not a word? it should be, just sayin') yellow embroidered silk finery. (Not the upholstery shown below.)

These are not the the actual chairs, but the best substitution I could find. Typically called Gainsborough Chairs, they are a high-backed upholstered arm chair, the arms set back and depending on the chair, there can be very elaborate carving.


George III Mahogany Library Armchair, c. 1765

I have decided that having a pair of these chairs whether antique or quality new reproduction is going on my list of things to accomplish. This is non-negotiable. It doesn't need to be soon, it just needs to be. The chairs below would also be acceptable to me, though I'm not obsessed.


1930's/1940's French Leather Armchairs


And the following chairs are interesting to me, but just aren't going to ever work in my home.


Hemingway Chairs by Dutch Company Leolux


I guess by now you are getting that I'm a traditional girl. Modern lines interest and inspire me, but old things and traditional shapes make me feel at home and safe. Warm. So, with that I'll leave you with what may be my most boring post ever, but something I had to get into words. Those chairs make me feel warm and fuzzy. Much like this makes me feel. Not that there is a comparison. These guys are the real deal.

1 comment:

Irene said...

Leolux is in een woord een prachtig kwaliteitsmerk!