Monday, September 22, 2008

Old Friends


Barcelonetta
By Dona Ann MacAdams
(Art Print can be found here.)
This is a week of organizing and last minute home repairs, phone calls and making lists. I have doctor appointments for myself and a vet appointment for the dog. All of these things are just pesky little things that are taking up my time and thoughts and making me feel anxious when what I really want to do this week is spend time with my Pals. My friends. My peeps, my gang, my support system, whatever. This other crap is getting in my way and making me feel frustrated. Please bear with me while I say a few things that I need to say.
I want to say proper goodbyes to the people who have meant the world to me. It is interesting how as the years go on, I haven't so much collected friends the way I did when I was young as I hold on to the special ones and let the others go. There are many reasons for letting friendships go. In my case it may have been life changes, switching jobs, time (people get busy and drift apart,) distance. Those who remain are special because somehow there is a motivation to stay in touch, or to invest the time despite the geographic distance. We all have folks who are special to us, and I am blessed to include among my special friends someone I met in college when I was nineteen. He has been here for me during every major life event since. I can not imagine my life without him. We have lived in different states at several different times over the years, and I always know that the bond will never break. Never. He was the first to respond to our invitation for closing down our house on Sunday. That is one reason I love him. You are awesome E. When you visit me in Illinois, we are watching The Trouble with Angels. It will be a Giddy time. My girlfriend Stephanie was a coworker and we have developed a beautiful friendship over the years. We met when we were both newlyweds... to our first husbands. So many years ago... both of us remarried and happy again we share a love of long talks and a charming town called Weston, as well as a long history silliness and a very cool road trip. I know there will be visits, Steph. Then there is my best bud Ann. I tear up thinking of not being able to spend a Sunday afternoon shopping with her and drinking coffee at Panera. She actually put up with me a couple weeks ago while I NEEDED to tour my hometown and drive by the places that made my childhood memories. She had to be bored to tears, but cheerfully listened as I explained every detail of everything I pointed out as I drove by my childhood landmarks. The mark of a true friend. Thanks girlie. Who knew when we took our girl's trip to Chicago I'd be moving there? Now there will be visits I hope! Love ya! I am so excited to see these guys this week. All will be helping bring down the house on Sunday, but I'm fortunate enough to see a couple of them during this week as well. Yay! The week seems very short suddenly. I'm saddened that I won't be able to reach out and hug everyone I would like to this week. Life gets in the way, but staying in touch is easy... right? Gah, it seems sad and I'm more than a little emotional lately.
Okay, enough. Will try to talk about something light tomorrow. Consider this a Moody Monday and we'll move on.

No comments: