Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Film Festival .. stop by if you are in the area!




Last night I dedicated a post to my sister, saying that this week was a very big deal to her. I was a little bit cryptic about it on purpose, only because I was saving the why this is a big deal for today. So it is today now. An hour and a half from tomorrow, actually, as I look at my clock.


My older sister teaches English at the University of North Alabama. She also devotes a good deal of her time, (a good deal of her time is a value I can't assess, as there is no time clock involved but I know that it equals many many hours) as a volunteer, to being part of the team that is the George Lindsey UNA Film Festival. You may remember George Lindsey as Goober, of Andy Griffith fame. He attended UNA, and the festival is named in his honor. I was proud to meet him at last year's festival.


This is not just any academic film festival. This festival, located in Florence, Alabama, in the Shoals area brings in first class talent, and interesting and informative workshops, panel discussions and submissions. Last year the headliner was Billy Bob Thornton. I believe I already mentioned on this blog that I was overly giddy over that, as he is one of my very favorite actors of all time. Okay, gosh. Fine. Here I'll show you the photo again. Quit asking. This photo was taken at the President's reception, where the Talent gets to mix with the important folks who put the festival together. *IMPORTANT NOTE* Hubby and I were not originally invited and it was only a polite last minute invite that we ended up there. We are not cool people. Trust me. If we were, I would have been wearing my hammer pants, and not Banana Republic jeans.

Brother in law J, Hubby, Sister, The Man the Myth the Legend, Me.


I am really not going anywhere at all with this post, except to say that if you are in the Shoals this week and feel like checking out the festival, visit the link above and get the info. Also, my very cool cousin Nathaniel Teal Minton will be there for the second year in a row, as a Screenwriting Workshop Presenter. Word on the street has it that this was a very popular session last year.

As for my sis, I hope she is getting a good nights sleep. I know she will need it. There will be much running, last minute calls for help, frantic searches for extra chairs and last minute flight changes to be deal with, not to mention the fans. Lee Majors and Rance Howard are there this year. Yes folks. The Six Million Dollar Man and Ronnie's Dad, though that is reducing them to the simplest of terms. I'm flying in Sunday afternoon, and am sad that I am missing the whole thing because these guys must have a lot of history to talk about.

Love you sister sledge, good luck with the festival and remember to have a good time. See you on Sunday!



No comments: