Friday, March 6, 2009

Friday Fun Facts - Irrational Fears Edition.

Friday Fun Facts!

Welcome to another edition of Friday Fun Facts! Today another narcissistic list about me, because if I weren't just a tad self centered... why would I blog about myself right? At least I recognize my weaknesses. Speaking of weaknesses. Let's get on with the list, shall we? Since I freely admit to being a neurotic woman, I thought I'd share with you some of my most irrational fears. Whoa. I have a lot, but these are a few of the highlights.

  • I have a freakish fear of highly polished stairs and stairs with open backs. I absolutely know in my heart that I am going to slip and fall on one of these staircases someday, and break every bone in my body... if not die. I think they should be labeled a safety hazard.
  • Clowns. Get those things away from me. There is nothing funny about them. Nothing.
  • Raw Poultry. I don't really enjoy any kind of poultry, but if I have to prepare it I can't eat it, and touching it requires a complete sterilization of the kitchen. So much work for a so/so food item.
  • Becoming a pack rat. I can't stand clutter, piles and I enjoy throwing things away.
  • Crowds. They make me feel claustrophobic, panicked and afraid.
  • Driving in the dark. This is not that irrational... I have night blindness, I can't see which makes me a road hazard and fearful.
  • Living beyond the point where my mind and body function together.
  • Things that creep and crawl and hide in dark corners. I have never let a spider outdoors to survive in my life. I am all about the kill. Sorry. I have nightmares about spiders. Often.
  • Feet. I will not touch another person's feet. Ever. Unless it is a baby. Period. I will also not go barefoot. Ick.
  • Motorcycles. No bad experiences with them, I'm just very afraid of them. When I was little I cried when they drove down the street. Now I just stay away from them.
  • Loud noises. Maybe that explains the motorcycles? Hmmm.

5 comments:

Lawyer Mom said...

Soul sister, you and I are one. I'm telling you. I sit on people in dark movie theaters. And if I have to wash the chicken before we cook it, I cannot, absolutely not, eat it.

Thank you for this post. I feel less weird.

Melanie said...

I love finding people who make me feel less wierd! Thank you for coming forward, this is so liberating. ;-) I laughed out loud when I read you sit on people in dark movie theaters. I think they need to issue night googles to people like us!

Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only one weirded out by stairs! I have to grip the hand rail on the open back ones. My little house in NKC had a set of stairs going to the basement that were open with no wall on either side (went to the middle of the basement) and didn't have the rail. I threw the laundry down the stairs so I wouldn't fall down them. I'm thinking it's due to a humiliating trip UP stairs when I was in high school (I was wearing a skirt - let your imagine run wild with the possible humiliation) and falling DOWN Mom & Dad's stairs with Michael in my arms when he was a baby. Broke a toe on that one. No one ever said I was graceful, though.

Melanie said...

Steph- Do you remember when we worked at the little mall that is no longer there in JOCO? Those stairs that were right outside of the store where we worked are the definiton in my mind of what I'm talking about. Those gave me the heebies every time I walked up them to buy a slice of carmel apple pie, and then had to hold on for dear life walking back down them, all slick and slippery. It was worse if I dared purchase a drink AND food! No spare hands!

Anonymous said...

I do remember those stairs. They were a weird size too - not a comfortable stride. More like a stride and a half. I'd walk to the other end of the mall and take the escalator down if I had anything at all in my hands. I HATED them!