Sunday, March 8, 2009

Sleep, Daylight Savings Time Style.


Having nothing at all to do with rebelling against Daylight Savings Time and losing that hour of sleep which really, when I think about it, would be very in character for me to do, I slept 13 hours last night. That makes two nights in a row. The difference between today and yesterday, I am not going back for a nap today like I did yesterday. Enough is enough.


So, having mentioned all that sleep I wish someone could measure in real time the amount of that time I spent in nightmare land. Good Gawd y'all. Yes, I am prone to nightmares. Crazy, outlandish, often bizarre with elements of humor sprinkled in to delight me and scare the hell out of me at the same time. I remember these in great detail for the most part. Sometimes completely, like a movie playing out in my mind. Sometimes, I only remember snippets... like a short scene. Those short scenes are usually the creepiest.


Once, I had an odd yet delightful little dream/nightmare about being trapped in a basement of a house. Stay with me here. This basement was huge. And like a maze. And I was being chased, by barnyard animals. Not just barnyard animals on four feet, no. These were special. These were billy goats on hind legs, wearing denim jackets lined with sheep's wool. I know. What the hell. The leader wore sunglasses. You can see how that is humorous? I sure can. I managed to get away from them after a very long foot chase through this basement, by finding my way out through the door that led to the driveway. What does all that mean?


Another time, I had a dream that I was at a wedding, outdoors. It was in a mountain valley, just at the base of a mountain. Very very lovely. The odd thing? The entire wedding party and all the guests were on pogo sticks. It was such an odd thing to celebrate a wedding by jumping on pogo sticks, on the side of a mountain.


Then there is this. A little girl, blond with braids down the sides. Wearing a prairie dress. Sitting on the end of my bed cutting tails off mice with huge scissors. This was one of those dreams that comes to you when you are sleeping in that odd paralyzed state where you want to wake up so badly, but can't? Terrifying. She just kept cutting off those tails. Evil evil girl.


There are also the recurring variety. I have one in particular that just won't go away. It is a house, not my actual house, but my house in my dream, that is always changing and has a secret level that whole families sometimes move into and live in until I discover them there. There is also a room there that is locked, but is full to the brim with junk. It is in the basement and the walls are painted pink. The back yard is forgotten. In my dream I often see the back yard and seem surprised that it exists, then feel overwhelmed by its state of overgrowth. Then, there is the dining room. It is lovely, but in such bad repair that the ceiling is open to the sky. I hate that dream it brings on such anxiety. Did I mention that one family that moved in was the Beverly Hillbillies? Yeah. I know. Ellie May poaching on my property. Don't say anything.


Last night I had dreams upon dreams. None as fascinating as those above. But it is no wonder I don't get any real rest.

2 comments:

kcmeesha said...

I sleep like a log and don't have any dreams. I don't know if I am lucky or missing out.

Melanie said...

My husband doesn't remember his dreams at all, I think he is lucky! We finally bought a dream dictionary for fun, I think all we figured out was that I am anxious. HA! We already knew that!