Thursday, March 5, 2009

Wallowing in it for one day.


Giving myself one day to wallow in self pity. Typically, I am not a self pity kind of girl but, I was very much looking forward to spending the next two weeks by my daddy the cowboy's side. It was going to be just the two of us, spending some quality time together while he undergoes radiation treatments for his cancer. Today my doctor told me that due to my own recent hospitalization, the infection that prompted it being so serious and the fact that I'm still not feeling energetic or well, plus I still have follow up tests that should be done next week (like a CT scan) she had to advise against my going on my trip, as planned. I felt shocked and sad and anxious, and all I really wanted was my dad. Like a little girl.


I'm sure any of us who has had a parent or relative or friend going through a difficult time like cancer or some other illness has had similar helpless feelings. Sad, anxious, heartbroken. Ahhh. It is so hard.
There is an upside to this story. My husband is going in my place, which is generous, loving, and the sweet. So very characteristic of who he is. No one asked, he just took care of it as soon as he got word that I couldn't go. Yeah. Go ahead and tease me for calling him my hero. This man is my hero and that is just the way it is and this is one of the reasons why.


2 comments:

Lawyer Mom said...

That is very bad news indeed. It's great you've got such a swell husband and realize how swell he is.

Melanie said...

He is indeed swell. I also have a very swell nephew who lives near my dad and has some free time, so he has graciously offered to take over for my husband. Much plan changing going on in a short time, but we are so blessed with a wonderful family all willing to drop everything and help when needed. I'm so proud to be part of this family. Just so damn proud.