Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Fab Five

Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family. Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one.
~Jane Howard

Here we are, the original fab five. My parents have been married for fifty-two years, have raised three daughters, are the grandparents of six grandsons and one granddaughter, and one great-grandson. They are the most generous people I know. My mother has always had health problems, but has never wavered in her faith and in her love and support for her family. My daddy has more character and strength than any one I know. In the fourth grade I wrote an essay about him being my hero. He still is in the way that I look up to him as a personal role model.

My sisters, both talented and smart. They are my favorite people. One is completing her PhD this summer. The other, is a natural in the business world. Both, I am sure, will be horrified to see this photo here. It was taken the morning Hero and I were leaving after the holidays to head back from Alabama to KC. I cherish it. Just the five of us standing in a kitchen. Brings back a lot of memories. It could be the five of us thirty five years ago standing in a kitchen in Raytown, MO. That would be about the last time we all lived under one roof together before life started moving us all around.

I adore my family.

No comments: