Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Food List

Yesterday I spoke of food in KC that I will miss. Today, in no particular order are a few of my faves. Minsky's Pizza. Oh. My. God. So much time during my teenage years spent here, then post partying during my twenties, then when I moved to the 'burbs after marrying, there were the Minsky's sponsored little league baseball banquets at the local outlet in Blue Springs. In my humble opinion, the best pizza in town.

Cascone's. Fabulous Italian food, great service. Hero and I had our rehearsal dinner there and many subsequent family birthdays have been spent there.

Winstead's for the best burger and fries in town. I get the single, no cheese and fries. The original Windstead's on the Plaza has been open since the forties. Just a bit of useless trivia... my childhood friend Shelly's grandfather was the man who started it.


OMG, Fun House Pizza... the good one, in Raytown. Is this the original? I don't know, but this is the one I grew up going to. I remember going there with my parents every Friday night from the time I was about four years old. At that time, the place was dark and there were neon paintings on the walls and an area in the back with ride on toys for the kids. You could look in the window and see the pizza's being made. It was awesome. I went back about 8 years ago and they had totally remodeled it. It is all light and bright. Not at all the same, but the pizza was as good as ever.


Zarda BBQ stole my heart. The original is here in Blue Springs, and we eat there regularly. I'm not a BBQ expert, I only know what I like. I like the sauce here, and the ribs, and the beef, and the chicken.

While we are on the subject of BBQ, KC's Arthur Bryant's has my favorite burnt ends. Hands down. Again, I am no expert on food or BBQ, but I know I like those burnt ends.

Okay. In the spirit of full disclosure, I am not a foodie. I rarely eat more than one meal a day plus some nutrition shakes here and there. If it seems that I am only writing about junk food (except Cascone's) in this listing, well that may be because these are the foods I would really like to eat the most (who wouldn't) but limit myself. I have an inflammatory bowel disease... good times, right? Anyway, I am pretty limited in my dining choices a lot of the time, depending on how I'm feeling... so a diet of boring bland foods creates junk food cravings! Enough about me. How are you? What do you like to eat here in the old cow town?





No comments: