Monday, August 11, 2008

Crazy Hot Jayhawks of the Class of 1979

These silly goofballs. Roommates at KU, dear friends to this day. Don't you love their decor ala 1979? The Happy Hooker Goes to Washington poster is priceless. I love these people. Pictured are Gary, Ron, Howard, Hero and Sweet Julie cuddled on the sofa. She is married to Ron. They are the parents of the young man whose Bar Mitzvah we recently celebrated, as well as two other fantastic young men. One of them a KU alum himself.


Fast forward twenty five years. *This photo was taken in 2004. Same crew, names are the same, only the faces have changed, and the location... as this was the reception of the wedding of the Hero and myself. I'm sure everyone's circumstances have changed as well, but one thing that hasn't changed is the friendships these folks all share. They have known each other since high school, and the foundation of their love for one another never seems to waiver. I've been lucky enough to feel included into their open friendly arms. I feel thankful.
*I believe one of the guys superimposed the wedding photo onto the old photo for effect. As lovely as that sounds, our wedding decor did NOT include any Happy Hooker posters. Heh.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to start out by saying that other than my family, there's nobody I love more than the goofballs in the picture. But you know what? These silly goofballs are family.

Howard I and aren't as close as we once were, but we met up for the Orange Bowl in January (Rock Chalk Jayhawk), along with Gary, who came all the way from Massachusettes, and another high school buddy of ours (Bruce! Bruce! Bruce!) who now lives in Charlotte, and it was like we were never apart. I was best man at Howard's wedding and we have a friendship that will never dissolve.

Ron & Julie. They have to be the most wonderful couple I've ever known (except Fred and I of course). I've known Ron since Junior High School, although we didn't become good friends until college. While I roomed with Gary for 4 years and Howard for 3 years, I only roomed with Ron for the last semester of our senior year when my cousin Scott moved out after visiting Israel and finding his religious side (I'm proud to say Scott went on to become a Rabbi). Anyway, Ron & Julie have always been there for me and I'm going to miss them terribly.

Now for Gary. What can I say other than the definition of "true friend" can be summed up in one word... Gary (if I could expand it to three words It would be Gary and Ron). Gary and I met in high school and become instant friends. If we were a couple I'd consider him my "soulmate". After college, Gary moved back to his hometown of Worcester, Mass. We rarely go more than 2-3 months without talking or more than 2-3 years without seeing one another.

Well... I could go on and on about these guys, especially with some of the stories I could tell, but I need to get a bit of work done tonight.

Everyone should be lucky enough to have one close friend for life, much less four of them.

Anonymous said...

BTW Fred, now people are going to know you're married to an old fart. ;-)

Melanie said...

You are not an old fart, nor do you act like one! Besides the cat is already out of the bag that you are married to a 45 year old who poos the bed sometimes. Now who seems old? ~Fred