Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Way Back Wednesday

As I believe I have mentioned, yes I know I must have mentioned it so many times you people are bored with me mentioning it, but I am compelled to mention it again... my baby, my precious baby is heading off to college tomorrow. For his freshman year. So, I thought I would pause, and reflect... yes just remembering what was going on in the world when I was heading off to college back in August of 1981.


The following list taken from Wikipedia:

August 1 - MTV (Music Television) is launched on cable television in the United States.

August 3 - The Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization (PATCO) goes on strike.
August 5 - Ronald Reagan fires 11,359 striking air-traffic controllers who ignored his order for them to return to work.
August 7 - The Washington Star ceases all operations after 128 years of publication.
August 9 - Major League Baseball resumes from strike with the All-Star Game in Cleveland's Municipal Stadium.
August 12 - The original Model 5150 IBM PC with a 4.77 MHz Intel 8088 processor is released in the United States at a base price of $1,565.

August 19 - Gulf of Sidra incident (1981): Libyan leader Muammar al-Gaddafi sends 2 Sukhoi Su-22 fighter jets to intercept 2 U.S. fighters over the Gulf of Sidra. The American jets destroy the Libyan fighters.
August 19 - U.S. President Ronald Reagan appoints the first female U.S. Supreme Court Justice, Sandra Day O'Connor.
August 24 - Mark David Chapman is sentenced to 20 years to life imprisonment after being convicted of murdering John Lennon in Manhattan eight months ago.

August 28 - South African troops invade Angola.
August 31 - A bomb explodes at the U.S. Air Force base in Ramstein, West Germany, injuring 20 people.

So, today's college freshmen have never known life without MTV, or PC's. They don't remember a time when there was a West Germany vs. East Germany. Too bad countries are still invading each other and wars continue in the middle east. Some things change and others have stayed the same. Despite the world around us, I'm certain that a few things haven't changed, such as parents having trouble letting go and kids being anxious to test their independence. Good for all of us. Lessons will be learned and I'm never too old to learn a thing or two. Tomorrow begins that adventure.

No comments: